The Bellevue College Board of Trustees sets the college’s strategic direction, establishes policies, and approves budgets.
Since 2011, students have participated on Community and Technical College governing boards. The student trustee of the Bellevue College Board of Trustees is a full-fledged member of the Board, with the exception of not participating in voting on matters regarding faculty tenure or faculty contracts. This trustee provides a student perspective on board operations while not representing the student body as a whole.
Minimum Qualifications: applicants must meet the minimum qualifications at the time the application is submitted
- Completed 24 college level credits at Bellevue College.
- Registered for at least 12 credits at the time of application.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Plan to be enrolled at Bellevue College as a full-time student (12 credits or more per quarter) for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Not on academic probation and in compliance with student conduct code requirements (Staff will check with the Student Conduct Officer for conduct concerns that may impact your application).
- Must attend the Board of Trustees Meeting once a month from June 2020 to June 2021
- Must live in the Bellevue College Service District: Bellevue, Issaquah, Mercer Island, North Bend. View a map of the Service Area.
- Available during summer 2020 for training and during the academic calendar year for monthly Board Trustee Meetings.
- For the 2020-2021 academic year, you cannot be employed by Bellevue College.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications (listed above). All of the following must be uploaded to complete your application.
- Cover Letter Your cover letter must not exceed two (2) pages, should be signed by the applicant and should be in a PDF format.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae Your resume must not exceed three (3) pages and should be in a PDF format.Please include relevant experience and activities in:
- a. Employment/Internship
- b. Community Service
- c. Extracurricular Activities
- d. Leadership Experience
- Unofficial Transcript
- Academic Plan for the 2020-2021 academic year signed by an academic advisor.
- Letters of Recommendation At least two professional or academic (but no more than three) letters of reference pertaining to volunteer, academic, school or work-related activities (written on January 1, 2020 or later). Please include the contact information (Name, Phone Number, and Email Address) for these references, as the Governor’s Office will conduct reference checks.
- Essay Questions The answer for the entire question set should not exceed five (5) pages (one-sided), typewritten, double-spaced, 12-point font.
- I. What do you hope to accomplish as Student Trustee?
- II. Please explain your position on each of the following issues, be as specific as you can:
- a. Cost of a college education
- b. Diversity (school population),
- c. One additional issue currently pertinent to BC students
- III. Consider the following scenario and answer the question below:
a. Imagine you are now a member of the Bellevue College Board of Trustees and the rest of the Board disagrees with you on a particular issue. What would you be your approach to addressing and influencing the Board on this issue?
*Items that are submitted in addition to those listed above will not be taken into consideration to insure equity.
Last Updated June 15, 2020